Saturday 12 December 2009

Lime and raspberry crumble cake

A little break from the spiced cakes and seasonal bakes of late. I present something entirely out of season, but delicious all the same! I was fed up of opening the freezer and trying to cram the latest item into it whilst cartons of raspberries bought at the height of the late summer/early autumn season stared back accusingly at me, languishing in their frozen home, just waiting for a fitting end. Because these ones were still in the carton (unlike those transfered to plastic freezer bags in a vain attempt to maximise space) they had held their shape and seemed ideal for a cake. The lime was hiding in the fridge, bought with no particular purpose in mind, so also found its way into this cake.

A very basic sponge recipe with a crumble topping.

Lime and raspberry crumble cake
Ingredients
2 large eggs
140g self raising flour
120g butter, softenend
120g golden caster sugar
zest and juice 1 lime

170g punnet frozen raspberries (I used mine from frozen)

For the crumble
40g plain flour
20g butter
20g caster sugar

Method
- Preheat the oven to gas 4/180C. Grease and line with baking parchement a 7" square tin
- Make the crumble by rubbing the butter into the flour, then stirring in the sugar. Set aside
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour and eggs and beat well until combined.
- Stir in the lime zest and juice (I find that if I add this earlier, the zest all gets caught on the electric mixer beaters and therefore doesn't get distributed very well in the cake.)
- Spoon into the prepared tin and level off. Scatter over the raspberries and then the crumble mixture.
- Place in preheated oven and cook for around 50min-1hour. I had initially thought that this cake wouldn't take longer than about 40 minutes, but it did for me. Keep checking! The cake is done when it springs back to the touch and a wooden toothpick/cake tester comes out clean.

Best eaten on the day of making, as the raspberries tend to sink back after baking. This went very quickly indeed at work, which was most gratifying. The lime taste was good with the raspberries and the crumble topping provided a good contrasting crunch. It wasn't the lightest cake I've ever made or tasted, but it was good all the same and at least those raspberries aren't staring at me reproachfully every time I open the freezer.


Well, I had to have something seasonal in this post!!! I saw this lovely little dog and just couldn't resist - some things never change!


4 comments:

The Caked Crusader said...

What a lovely combination - I can see that lime and raspberry would be lovely!

Loving your new little doggy friend too!

Rhyleysgranny said...

Now that looks delicious. I so love the little dog helping to eat them :)

Maggie said...

Lovely cake, I especially like the crumble topping.

Simply Life said...

yum! that looks delicious!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...